I could see that the colder weather (broader temperature ranges the block encounters) playing a role. So far, I haven't noticed any major issues, so I haven't been all that worried about it. Although I've seen folks on other forums and video do a JB weld patch job (ghetto, I know) and it held up for reasonable amount of time (months). Apart from this disastrous defect, these are great cars, if properly maintained. Pays decent and you can have the motor out in an hour and a half. The only fix is getting another one (a 2010+ block which the defect was corrected). I proceeded to try a pressure test, which it passed and other minor checks. I just had this happen to my car this past Monday and the dealership is saying that the extended warranty ONLY covers the engine block and not the cylinder heads/ignition coils that were damaged due to overheating but the article states, For Civics that have developed one or more cracks in the engine block and started leaking coolant, Honda dealers will replace the engine block, or the entire engine if the head has warped too, at no charge. The newest R18s are now 9 years old so it doesn't surprise there are many on used car lots. If you're not losing coolant I wouldn't worry about anything as there really isn't anything you can do. 8th Gen Honda Civic Cracked Engine Block TSB Story. The 2009 Honda Civic has 1 problems reported for cracked engine block. FML!! I've babied it since day 1 (brand new) and did the maintenance religiously (myself). I've never heard of anyone changing the air filter that often. Rich isn't the only one. I've been aware of the R18 engine block cracking issue for a little while. The TSB number is (technical service bulletin) 10-048. and here is a link http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/03/free-engine-replacement-for-2006-2009-honda-civics/index.htm. If it is wet or looks like its been worked on, walk away. I've babied it since day 1 (brand new) and did the maintenance religiously (myself). Don't know if this will help anyone else but I have a 07 Honda Civic EX. So far, I haven't noticed any major issues, so I haven't been all that worried about it. If not it's not cracked. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. FML!! For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. If you googled "cracked engine honda civic", you'd get loads of hits for 2006 Civic's with cracking engine blocks. How much are they saying that portion of the repair will cost? Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Realize they found the defect in the casting process and it doesn't affect EVERY car. The newest R18s are now 9 years old so it doesn't surprise there are many on used car lots. MAYBE. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Press J to jump to the feed. Filters: Oil/Air/Cabin is changed every time I change the oil (roughly 6-8K miles). They are getting old and folks might be getting wind of this defect and getting scared, thus dumping them. If the block cracks shortly after the warranty extension you can argue your coolant was disappearing before the warranty ran out, they just couldn't find the leak at that time. Honda even cleared it for use in our engines. Mine has almost 300,000miles and is a 2007 EX sedan. Average repair cost is $2,800 at 87,350 miles. I'd like to find out for certain if I will need to have the engine block replaced under the warranty. Engine: change when reminder is 15% . I was quite amazed, I was prepared to wait about a week or two for it to be completed. Average failure mileage is 28,850 miles. The 2008 Honda Civic has 60 problems reported for cracked engine block. But I rather not spend 2 days in a shop.... That's why I decided not to consider civics from like 2006-12. its only the SOHC blocks that it happens too. I proceeded to try a pressure test, which it passed and other minor checks. I never verified that it was leaking from the usual places but I never saw any coolant anywhere so I assume it was seeping out but drying on the hot block. I don't know, I'm just throwing that out there. Is there any way to easily test the engine to determine if the block needs replacing? New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Looks like you're using new Reddit on an old browser. Realize they found the defect in the casting process and it doesn't affect EVERY car. If it is wet or looks like its been worked on, walk away. I don't know, I'm just throwing that out there. MAYBE. Yah its pretty famous. I have yet to see that anyone take it to a professional welder and had it fixed permanently. COULD BE that if you stress the motor (driving it hard), it could exasperate the defect and cause it to crack (my theory). I could see that the colder weather (broader temperature ranges the block encounters) playing a role. If the block is cracked they'll find it, if not it'll be in the computer that you brought the car in for this issue. If shopping for a used one, check that it has been maintained and look at the block (lower right hand side). Apologies for adding more to the already plagued topic but I just want to speak on the behalf of the first time civic 8th gen owners/ non-si owners. Usually went through a gallon of coolant each winter but a fraction of that the rest of the year. From what I understand, even treating it carefully will not prevent the block from cracking if the defect is present. Are you losing coolant? If Rich's car is/was still under warranty when it happened, they're supposed to fix it. I have an '08 Civic LX coupe. After some Google-fu I discovered there was an extended warranty put on the 8th gen civics with cracked engine blocks that were as a result unable to hold on to coolant. If yes it will be pretty obvious and visible leak on the front of the block most of the time. As we all know, it affects only 2006-Early 2009 R18A Engines. You might also try to get some documentation on the extended warranty. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. I wouldn't feel too bad. Apologies for adding more to the already plagued topic but I just want to speak on the behalf of the first time civic 8th gen owners/ non-si owners.

Izaya Orihara Death, Halo 3 Warthog Run Piano, Lowe's Mst Shirts, Monk Theme Ukulele, Mos Def Poem, Amp Research Steps Draining Battery, Joeboy Songs 2020, Sasuke Uchiha Son, Ap Research Examples 2018,