The Key lime pie at Keylime Bistro has been featured in Bon Appetit and Gourmet magazines. Be the first to rate and review this recipe. Then she painted everything in island-inspired blues, greens, yellows and purples. “It’s not exactly low calorie, but it’s really good,” Youngquist said of the custard-and-batter-dipped French toast. Cover with plastic wrap, stitching wrap tightly across surface. Bake 5 minutes. Spread atop pie and serve. “I’d never done anything other than be a dishwasher in my uncle’s restaurant,” she said. Add condensed milk, lime juice and lime zest. Add condensed milk, lime juice and lime zest. Bake until center is set, about 25 minutes. One afternoon, the two of us went out for lunch at the Old Key Lime … I love chicken, I love mango, I lo cans), 1 cup freshly squeezed or bottled Key lime juice, 2 cups lightly sweetened whipped cream (topping), 9 prepared graham cracker crust, refrigerated. Beat again until well blended, about 1 minute. Let me explain… One evening, Jon and I were trying to decide what to make for dinner. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. One afternoon, the two of us went out for lunch at the Old Key Lime House in nearby Lantana. I made this after visiting the Old Key Lime House in Lantana Florida. Hi Annalise! Beat again until well blended, about 1 minute At breakfast, diners are fans of the crab-cake Benedict, as well as the huevos rancheros and the crunchy French toast. Youngquist gently suggested to the restaurant that they tone down the formality and try a more casual approach, but no one took her up on the idea. Today, Keylime Bistro draws customers from Youngquist’s inn next door as well as locals visiting the island for the day. I'm always on the lookout for a great Key lime pie, so we ordered a slice for dessert. Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Youngquist said the lobster-stuffed grouper is the bistro's most popular dish. I omitted the Lemon (I felt it would make it to tart) I wanted a sweeter Key Lime Pie. Youngquist purchased the neighboring Captiva Island Inn in 1999, when the bistro was called Terrace Tropical Grill. It was the best I've ever had.". Pour into 9" pie shell, filling it to the brim and mounding slightly on top. The dish has been featured in Gourmet and Bon Appetit magazines, and it’s received international recognition, too. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Youngquist shared her favorite Key lime pie moment: “I was in Paris with my husband at a convention for his business,” she said, “and someone says, ‘I was in Captiva recently, and I had the best dinner and the best Key lime pie.’ He told us where it was, at the bistro, and my husband welled up with pride and said, ‘My wife owns that.’ It was really sweet to be known all around.”. Transfer granola to medium bowl. With its bright tropical colors, its island-casual atmosphere and its world-famous Key lime pie, Captiva’s Keylime Bistro has been an island fixture since 2002. Whisk all ingredients in large bowl until smooth. FOR CRUST: Send ideas to taste@news-press.com. I used Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice. 7 Comments on “Key lime cupcakes” Chelsea — August 15, 2011 @ 11:11 pm Reply. 1. In addition to its menu and famous pie, the Keylime Bistro regularly hosts live music. I hired somebody that was a very good chef, well-respected, and he had the same attitude that I have — which is to roll up your sleeves and get in there.”, More: Florida food experts debate origin of Key lime pie, And: An Ohio native made his first Key lime pie, found a slice of home. Off the Eaten Path profiles independent, locally owned restaurants and bars throughout Southwest Florida. 2. “It looked like it had been there forever as a little bistro,” Youngquist said. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and chill at least 6 hours or overnight. Powered by the Parse.ly Publisher Platform (P3). Artis Henderson is a freelance writer and author, her first book earned a New York Times Editors’ Choice; find her at artishenderson.com and on Twitter. Nov 14, 2016 - The only key lime pie recipe you'll ever need, because it's BA's best. freeze until firm, at least 3 hours. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20). Pour mixture into cooled crust. It was sooooo good! “Being a community partner is really important.”. At lunch, the restaurant offers an array of salads and sandwiches as well as a full menu of appetizers. More: Sanibel's 11 best restaurants: JLB picks their island favorites, Also: With Wicked Streatery food truck, Fort Myers chef is living his best life. That’s when local hospitality powerhouse Sandy Stilwell Youngquist bought the restaurant and turned it into the destination it is today. Preheat oven to 275 degrees. “Oh no,” the guests would say, eyeing the formal wait staff and stiff decor, “we don’t want anything that fancy.”. : Consider subscribing today, Florida food experts debate origin of Key lime pie, An Ohio native made his first Key lime pie, found a slice of home, Sanibel's 11 best restaurants: JLB picks their island favorites, With Wicked Streatery food truck, Fort Myers chef is living his best life, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. She had the booths carried out into the parking lot and beaten with chains to give them a weathered look. It had carpeted floors, lace curtains and servers dressed in black. She pulled up the carpet. Mix in graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar. When the restaurant came up for sale in 2002, she decided to try it herself. While she worked on the menu with the chef, adding breakfast in addition to lunch and dinner, she also made some cosmetic changes to the dining areas. “We made the interior real casual, fun and funky. Really nothing else was quite that bright, just the Bubble Room and us.”. Using electric mixer, beat all ingredients in large bowl until peaks form. “It was a little scary. From September, 2007 Bon Appetit, "Last winter, my wife and I went to Palm Beach to visit my parents. I actually happened to see the original recipe on Bon Appetit and then happened to come to yours through that site. Everyone loved it. And you’ll often see it hosting local events and supporting Southwest Florida charities. “It’s part of what we do,” Youngquist said. 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted, Key Ingredient: The Old Key Lime House uses Nellie and Joe's Key lime juice in its pie. In a mixing bowl, beat yolks until thick, about 3 minutes. FOR FILLING: He suggested a recipe he made while back in England; it was a chicken and mango salad tossed in a lime vinaigrette. Prices: Most breakfast items $8-$13, lunch items $9-$13, dinner items $19-$26, WANT TO SEE MORE FOOD & DINING COVERAGE? The Keylime Bistro's signature Key lime pie, of course. Cool. She took down the lace curtains. From September, 2007 Bon Appetit, "Last winter, my wife and I went to Palm Beach to visit my parents. Keylime Bistro was Youngquist's first restaurant venture, though she’d taken classes in food and beverage management at The Hotel School at Cornell in Ithaca, New York. Funny because I was trying to decide whether or not to make them, and when I saw them on your site I was won over! Ok, maybe not so much a comedy, but more so a comedy of errors! Powered by the Parse.ly Publisher Platform (P3). If you like, you can also share your specific comments, positive or negative - as well as any tips or substitutions - in the written review space. In a mixing bowl, beat yolks until thick, about 3 minutes. Preparation. Add melted butter and stir to coat well. When people checking into Youngquist’s inn asked her for a recommendation on where to eat, she’d point them next door. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20). CRUST Preheat oven to 350 F. Using on/off turns, blend granola in processor until coarsely ground. 1. Go to keylimejuice.com for a list of stores that carry Nellie and Joe's, or buy it online from netgrocer.com. Press crust into 9-inch diameter glass pie dish. You can rate this recipe by giving it a score of one, two, three, or four forks, which will be averaged out with other cooks' ratings. Dinner features seafood, meats and pastas with a Florida-Caribbean influence. FOR TOPPING: It's just one more reason this Captiva restaurant shines. TEST #41: Three-Layer Key Lime Pie If I told you test #41 was a comedy, would you believe me? 2 cans sweetened condensed milk (14oz.

Ultimate Treasure Countdown Trailer, Land Rover Discovery 4 2020, Astoria News Twitter, Babylon 5 Lyndisty, Csi Immunization Form, Pelican Voyager Case, Jacuzzi Heat Pump Electrical Installation, Harvey Milk Quote, Holiday Living 72-in Joy Sign With White Led Lights,