Thelma Lou appeared as a semiregular character in The Andy Griffith Show from 1961 until 1966, when the character was dropped from the show following the departure of Don Knotts and his Barney Fife character. The character appeared in 26 episodes, starting with the first-season episode, "Cyrano Andy". She is best known for her role as Thelma Lou, Deputy Barney Fife's girlfriend, on The Andy Griffith Show. As Thelma Lou's "ugly" cousin in an episode of The Andy Griffith Show, she had an arranged blind date with Gomer Pyle, played by Jim Nabors. In 1950, Lynn bought a house in Los Angeles, with her mother and grandparents moving in. She realized the gravity of the situation when a Marine gave her a pistol saying, "You might need this. She appeared in the 1986 reunion made-for-television movie, Return to Mayberry. [9], Lynn replaced Patricia Kirkland in the role of Betty Blake in the CBS comedy, The Egg and I (1951-1952),[10] and she played Pearl in the ABC comedy Love That Jill (1958). Barney finally marries Thelma Lou. Aside from her romance with Barney, she was given very little character development during the series' run. She also met recently released prisoners of war from Rangoon, and she was told by a doctor, "Most of them will be out of their minds in six months. Despite playing the role for five years (1961–66), she appeared in only 26 episodes, and was never signed on to the show (in part because at the time she was cast, she was still under contract for Texas John Slaughter). [7] That same year, she appeared in June Bride with Bette Davis followed by roles in Mother Is a Freshman (1949), Cheaper by the Dozen (1950), and Payment on Demand (1951). The two call it Splitsville in one episode when Barney pays a bit too much attention to an attractive newcomer to Mayberry. I prayed so hard they’d keep picking me up. The following is a list of Andy Griffith Show episodes featuring Thelma Lou. (1943),[6] and Park Avenue (1946). Allyn Joslyn played her husband, Jonathan Wallace. [1] Thelma Lou is portrayed by Betty Lynn. Every third Friday of the month, she makes a personal appearance in the town to speak to fans. They divorced when Lynn was 5 years old. She is apparently self-sufficient; her occupation is never revealed despite references to a never-seen "office", yet she lives in a roomy and well-decorated house of her own. [1] Like most Mayberry ladies, she is an accomplished cook, being especially celebrated for her "cashew fudge" (a favorite of Barney's). "[7] Following the end of The Andy Griffith Show, Lynn continued appearing in various television and film roles. [7] She recounted, "I didn't want to leave Thelma Lou. The stability of Barney and Thelma Lou's relationship is questionable. Thelma Lou lives in the community of Mayberry, North Carolina. At age 18 she was part of a USO tour in the China Burma India Theater. Thelma Lou appears in the 1986 television reunion movie Return to Mayberry. I enjoyed her. She thus took on the off-screen roles of breadwinner and caretaker. She is Mayberry Deputy Sheriff Barney Fife's love interest. She said, "I was a redhead with freckles and didn’t have a bosom. In the late 1940s, after being \"discovered\" in the short … Lynn and Joslyn left the series in its second season when it was renamed The Ray Bolger Show.[11][9]. on Thelma Lou or Thel by boyfriend Barney Fife is a character on the American television sitcom The Andy Griffith Show (1960-1968). Check out some of the IMDb editors' favorites movies and shows to round out your Watchlist. Her name is as light, breezy and innocent as the characters she played on film and TV. Missouri born-and-bred Betty Ann Lynn was born in Kansas City. Barney dates other women besides Thelma Lou (mainly, diner waitress Juanita, who is mentioned, but never seen or heard). And that was it. Editor's note: This story originally ran on Aug. 26, 2016. Betty Lynn was born in Kansas City, Missouri. Her name is as light, breezy and innocent as the characters she played on film and TV. [5], On Broadway, she appeared in Walk with Music (1940), Oklahoma! I've been "Thelma Lou" all this time; I don't want a last name. He also tells her "You're the cat's" (as in "cat's meow"). Betty Lynn recounted that she so strongly objected to her character being married to anyone other than Barney that while performing in the episode, she pretended that Whitfield was actually a co-worker who she paid to pretend to be her husband so that she wouldn't "be left in a lurch" with Barney. Little is known about Thelma Lou. Thelma & Louise (1991) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Thelma_Lou&oldid=938367401, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Episode 30: "Barney and Thelma Lou, Phfftt", Episode 28: "The Arrest of the Fun Girls", This page was last edited on 30 January 2020, at 19:26. Betty Lynn has never married, although she has said she was once engaged. Despite their ups and downs, Thelma Lou stated that Barney was the man she wanted to marry and be the father of her children, and Barney once told Thelma Lou, "You're the only one I ever gave a hoot for." Betty came from a musical background as the daughter of a singer and began her career as a young teen performing in both supper clubs and on Broadway in such musical productions as \"Walk with Music\" (1940) and \"Oklahoma!\", the latter as a dancing replacement. After Lynn's birth, her mother once took shelter in a locked closet with the baby as her husband threatened the two. "[4], Lynn made her film debut in the 1948 film Sitting Pretty, which won a Photoplay Gold Medal. [10]:631 During this time she became neighbor to an infant Mark Evanier, who she has said became a close friend. A successful actress who had played in movies opposite Hollywood heavyweights like Loretta Young and … She is pleasantly remembered for playing TV's sweet-as-apple-pie "Thelma Lou" who had the tough end of the bargain as the ever-patient girlfriend of, Thu, Nov 05 Missouri born-and-bred Betty Ann Lynn was born in Kansas City. [4], When she was 17, Lynn auditioned to participate in United Service Organizations entertainment. She even entertained the troops with her light soprano at USO tent shows towards the end of World War II. [10]:1064 In the 1953–54 television season, Lynn was cast as June Wallace,[10]:1171 the sister-in-law of the Ray Bolger character in the ABC sitcom Where's Raymond? Intent on getting back with Thelma Lou, Barney discovers she has been married six weeks to a man named Gerald Whitfield. After Thelma Lou, Betty Lynn had a problem. [8] Lynn herself has commented, "The longer I live here, the more I see things [Griffith] took from his hometown."[7]. A running gag on the show involved Barney and Thelma Lou spending a "quiet evening together" and somebody (usually Andy) walking in on them to find Barney's hair mussed and lipstick prints all over his face. Thelma Lou on 'The Andy Griffith Show' 'Memba Her?! In another episode, she is mentioned to have attended Mayberry Union High, graduating in the same class with Barney and Andy Taylor. After guest-starring on various television series, including Schlitz Playhouse of Stars, The Gale Storm Show, Sugarfoot, and Markham, Lynn won the role of Thelma Lou on The Andy Griffith Show. Thelma Lou what?' Thelma Lou is portrayed by Betty Lynn. You don't need a last name.' Her marriage in 1965 is revealed to have lasted only a year before ending in divorce. Barney and Thelma Lou went their separate ways when Barney left Mayberry to join the Raleigh police force (coinciding with Don Knotts's departure from the series in 1965). In 2006, Lynn retired from acting and relocated to Mount Airy, North Carolina, the home town of Andy Griffith and the town on which Mayberry is believed to have been based despite Griffith's claims to the contrary.

Matteo Denaro Net Worth, Bsl Shaders Mcpe, Mini Petrol Engine, Tornado Betsy Byars Pdf, Air Lift Remote Battery Replacement, Bandera De Zacatecas, Arcane Sigil 5e, Sandy Becker Puppets, Seabee Song Ringtone, Greek Harpy Names, Harrods School Uniform, Jennifer Grant Husband, What Does Lizard Poop Look Like, Grade 7 Books Pdf, Benefits Of God's Glory, Jonathan Swan Wife, The Platform 123movies, Eddie House Net Worth 2020, Josh Gates Mailing Address, Alain Robert Net Worth, My Sims Agents Walkthrough, Jennifer Grant Husband, How To Keep A Sagittarius Man On His Toes, Tiktok Snapchat Usernames,